Chunks of Cheese n Crunch… Colours of Spring Salad
- Serves 4–6
- 2 cups purple cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-cup watermelon, medium dice
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, julienned
- ¾ cup low fat feta, cubed
- ¾ cup aged white cheddar cheese, cubed
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Oven Baked Sprouted Grain Tortilla Strips, see recipe below
- Fresh Basil, julienned and/or finely chopped chives
- Extra virgin olive oil
Toss purple cabbage, arugula, tomatoes, black beans, chickpeas, watermelon, Sundried tomatoes and cheeses together in a bowl and dress with Fresh Lemon Honey Thyme Dressing. Garnish with baked tortilla strips, pistachios, chives and fresh basil chiffanade.
Oven Baked Sprouted Grain Tortilla Strips
2 large sprouted grain tortillas (Ezekiel in frozen food section) cut into strips. Spread on baking sheet. Toss in 1 to 2 tbsp olive oil (or just drizzle lightly). Sprinkle with course kosher salt and, bake until lightly golden and crispy in a 350 degree F oven until golden brown approximately less than 5 minutes.
Fresh Lemon Honey Thyme Dressing
- 1 lemon, juice and microplaned rind (about ¼ cup)
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Course kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Whisk lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, thyme leaves, until smooth. Whisk in extra virgin olive oil and blend until emulsified. Coarse Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.